Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ba-Rocks Bruce's World

I don't know if it's possible to guest blog on your own family blog site, it's kind of like "babysitting" your own kids. But since this is my first post here and I don't know when or if there will be another, I'm calling it a guest post. We've recently seen examples of politicians exaggerating or mischaraterizing past events (i.e. Hillary Clinton's Bosnia trip), or even outright lying (i.e. Robert Mugabe and Zimbabwe's election). Unfortunately, just this past week an even more insidious form of this took shape, not on the front page of the Washington Post, but on dcdegns.blogspot. So, I've come to respond to the grotesque mischaracterizations perpetuated by one Bruce Degn.


Back in the day, a more benign Bruce just enjoying some pie
For context, you can read his outlandish portrayal of events here http://dcdegns.blogspot.com/ (scroll down to "Land War in Asia - Some Very Bad Negotiating") What really happened that evening, during the risk game held in my honor, was the culmination and convergence of both brilliant military strategery and superb negotiation tactics. The first major attack of the game came as Scotty P tried to land a knock out blow by wiping my armies off the map. I easily withstood his onslaught, despite being outnumbered 5 to 1. He soon gave up, or more accurately: he tapped out like a little b. I patiently built up my armies and then methodically, one by one, began to destroy any namby-pamby army in my path. First, Scott (revenge was sweet), then Mike Nelson (who by way--not to embarrass him--but, cried when he lost). Then I arrived to said Bruce Degn. Bruce began sniveling and whimpering and asking me to please spare him (very un-McCain like). So I put forward the "The Obama Proposal". That is, in return for me not decimating him that round, Bruce would agree to sport an Obama bumper sticker, specifically one that said either "Ba-rock My World", or "Obamacan". Either choice would have been fitting--Bruce is both a closet Obama supporter and he finds Obama attractive. After Brigham ensured the terms of the agreement were enforced, I spared Bruce. I quickly moved on to dismantle Qualter, despite his, Nelson, and Palmer's colluded attempt at cheating. Finally, because the agreement only specified truce for one round, I returned to Bruce and handily wiped him off the map.
So there it is. My onslaught was overwhelming and brilliant. I may write a book about--it was that good. The genius continued on through the weekend as we justifiably broke into Bruce's car and hung an Obama placard in the rear window. Bruce's feeble attempt to explain away his spectacular loss as "poor negotiation skills" undermines the true brilliance of the strategy and I demand an apology. I further demand that (in addition to the placard that should still be hung on his car's rear window), he wears a t-shirt with the following logo once a week until after the general election in November:

2 Comments:

Blogger Scotty P said...

Let's be clear about one thing: Scotty P never "tapped out like a little b." To the contrary, I fought to the very last troop. Clearly, I "went to sleep like a man."

-P

11:23 AM  
Blogger Bruce said...

Actually, on this point, "Scott P. tapped out like a b," squares pretty well with my memory. And Mike N. did ask for tissues when he got wiped out, I think he asked for the "soft aloe vera kind"

Marc, one day I will look on a real non-Risk map, find China, and find you. Your diplomatic license plates might keep you from getting parkting tickets, but it will not keep bumper stickers of the mini-van. That's right, lest we forget, you drive a mini-van, lots of room for Ron Paul bumper stickers.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home